Sunday, September 5, 2010

An introduction of sorts

Hello.
Based on the enjoyment of friends who have recently partaken in the blogosphere, I have decided to give it a good Aussie go. There's nothing I like less than feeling like a bandwagon-jumper, but its not like anyone I know invented blogging, and I'm sure none of them will disapprove of me joining in. Not the ones who count, anyway.

I have contemplated writing a blog for some time now, but - and I can only assume bloggers will empathise with this - finding a focus to write about that will keep both the writer and the reader engaged is quite difficult. This has been quite a deterent for me.

That and the shit service of BT, which has delayed my internet service for what seems like forever. But I have had the internet for a day now, and 3 back-dated entries on my desktop that seems horribly contrite now that I'm re-reading them.

I'm a kiwi, but have recently moved to London. For no reason really. I lived in Ireland for a year when I was 21 and hated it, but decided after 2 years of being back in New Zealand it wasn't for me either. Not at this point in life. I've been in London for 6 weeks now, have a good job, a rather small circle of loyal friends, and Europe on my doorstep. But still - besides work, things feel a little direction-less and unfulfilled. And I don't want work to be the only thing I have going for me. In the past i've filled this void by being in destructive relationships, but not this time. Next weekend I am planning a very short trip to Copenhagen (budget permitting) and the second week of October I'm heading to Berlin to see one my best friends. Exciting! I've hit the ground running (so I've been told) and I'm trying to make the most of opportunities when they present themselves.

I do love food, and partly because this, I've stumbled ass-backwards into a hospo career. It's been 4 years now. I'm currently the assistant general manager of a place called Bistrotheque in the East London borough of Bethnal Green. We have a tranny cabaret theatre and apparently the 'who's who' of London art and fashion are our clientele. I really have no idea who any of them are, except the few celebs that have stopped by so far. Its a lot of hard work and long hours, and as a result I dont cook much. When I do get to cook, I like to have dinner parties and intend to have one next week where I will attempt to cook a shitload of paella. I also love cooking complicated dishes without recipes, and drinking. And drinking while cooking blind leads to some exciting and imaginative new combinations.

I'm still not 100% sure of my blogothesis (that's blog hypothesis, something I just invented), but I'm not really 100% on anything at the best of times. Ive narrowed its down to talking about food - something that has had a pretty big influence on me and the decisions I've made, my new life in London, and the fun things I am going to do involving both that will make this blog worth writing and reading. Let's see if it works.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely start! I'm adding you on Google because my access to Blogger is shaky at best. Hope you make it to China to see me one day! x

    ReplyDelete